2009年1月6日 星期二

Attending Conference in New York City

This is long time from my last entry. Recently I am busy with my trip to USA, training MO in my mother school and preparing my presentation in the conference I am attending.

My first station is New York City. This is my second time to visit here. The conference I am attending is called Symposium on Discrete Algorithms. It is a Computer Science conference, but I would say many of the stuff are really Mathematics, and a few of them are related to Physics and Biology.

Okay, let me bring back to topic to Mathematics. In a talk, the speaker gave the following cute problem: In how many permutations of size n will two elements i and j in the same cycle? There is a one-line solution.

BTW, as some of you may know, I am the teaching assistant of the course Game Theory in HKUST in the recent two years. I have just found in the conference that a game "Atomic Game Flow" is an excellent example of applications of Game Theory to Computer Science. And its nature is so simple that undergraduate students should have no difficulty to understand it (certainly, as in most branches of Mathematics, if you go deeper, it can be very difficult :p).

沒有留言: